Skip to main content

Lit Notes: Feb. 14th



Lit Notes: (Upcoming Events)

Saturday, February 16th, at Book Soup, 8818 Sunset Blvd. Hollywood - 4PM, Free of Charge
Vagabond Books presents a book launch party for Ernest Rosenthal’s Not for Drones.
Facebook:



If you haven't heard about Ernest's work, it is a must read.  Here are a few comments on his work:

At 92, Ernest Rosenthal presents his brilliant intellectual prose poems ranging on subjects as resonant as the Holocaust that he lived through, to the twisted-cross irony of the tragic nationalism of Israel tangled up with the imperialism of the United States in an age of cannibal consumerism. A book of truths, which is also replete with much humor, as is necessary in these days when lies are the hottest commodity on the mockit.

Jack Hirschman

...
Ernest,

I like very much what you have written here!  Thank you.

Howard Zinn

...

Thanks for sharing this moving rendition of your horrifying past, tempered by this retention of moral sanity … Your legacy of survival is inspiring to those of us who have been mainly spared such harrowing experiences.

With the greatest respect,

Richard Falk
United Nations Special Rapporteur for Human Rights

See more of Ernest's work at:



             

Sunday, February 17th, at The Echo, 1822 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90026 – 7-9PM, Free entry

Poet Rich Ferguson Performs and celebrates the launch of his new book, “8th & Agony” by Punk Hostage Press!


















Come celebrate the release of Rich Ferguson's new poetry collection, "8th & Agony," and the release of Yvonne de La Vega's, "Tomorrow, Yvonne, Poetry & Prose for Suicidal Egotisits." Both books are now available at Amazon & Amazon Createspace. Ferguson will be reading selections from "8th & Agony" in addition to performing a short set with his band We Voice Sing (www.wevoicesing.com). Yvonne de La Vega will be reading selections from her book, Tomorrow Yvonne - Poetry & Prose For Suicidal Egotists. (http://www.createspace.com/4012245) and performing musically with some surprise guest musicians.


  
Saturday, February 23rd, at Steamers Cafe, 138 W Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA – 12 -2PM, Free entry, 2 item minimum purchase

Little Red’s Writing Hood Presents a new Open Mic Series bridging Los Angeles and Orange County poetics!


An all new experience in OPEN MIC poetry...
We will allow 4 poems or 6 minute read time for this 1st event, future events will have feature poets. We just need to show the house we want it.
3 full hours, let’s have coffee, lunch and cocktails...everything on the menu is reasonably priced & as always, please, a 2 item min for the house.
LET’S MAKE THIS HAPPEN- - Cocktails, Lunch and Poetry...
What more could we ask for?

Wednesday, March 6th, at Republic of Pie, 11118 Magnolia Blvd, North Hollywood CA 91601 – 7:30 -9:30, Free entry

Los Angeles Poet Society Presents Writer Wednesday’s! A new Open Mic/Spoken Word series in the NoHo Arts District!
















RSVP for Open Mic: venicesoapboxpoets@gmail.com

Bringing an open mic with the fusion of the talented Julio the CongaPoet! Bring your words, jam with the congas, enjoy the vibe of Republic of Pie!


Julio the CongaPoet  Photo courtesy of Jessica Ceballos



Poetry Gear is wearable Poetry, designed by Poet, Jessica M. Wilson.
As Poetry is open to all interpretation, I've gathered a few concepts and made them into living images of wearable poetics!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1n10city

my brain is completely flooded i've rode this train before to a journey laden in cumbersome foot-stomps catching my frolic to the ground, tumbling over some man's arms, thick-legged brawn there is a part of me that says, 'you're too old for this'... maybe to know better is to be declarative and surrender to the certainties in life. however certain and present, the tornado will  follow. it's better to live submissive instead of dismissive to the velocity of life held out in front of you... like the last banana in the fruit bowl, or that chocolate cake you just want to lick. bowl to casket. each motion a delight.

Sort of a Downer

It's birthday season again!  Yay...  (sarcasm) Gosh, it has been a while since Covid19 made its debut... I think I was thinking it would be gone by now. Yes, the foolish fantasy that we could continue with our lives after 2 weeks of lockdown, but here is August. It's nearly my birthday and I have been wrapping my head around just what I can do to celebrate. Sure, you can say, go low key. Or, "why not be low key, Jessica. Why's it gotta be a big party?". Well, to counter that I'd say, "F&*k off, it's my birthday bish!" But really , I would probably say: 1. I just came out of 3 years of being "Mama", as in new momma, as in "where the hell did Jessica go", as in "when the hell is Jessica coming back?" as in "what do the kids need now?" I haven't been out in a long time. Definitely not the way I used to go out.  2. It's a milestone birthday! Let me rock my milestone and set it off! That's what I

When everyone was quarantined, I felt like

  "When everyone was quarantined, I felt like..."           I was caged,  my cord cut,            the outside was in,       and I  wasn’t ready for that. I felt like I was out of time                 – no way to re-plan my life,  no way to be by anyone’s side. I like mapping the scene,     feel heat amongst a crowd,  and now, to stay away from them,  I have to hide. Close myself off  my nature,  to enjoy parties  dancing, all the things               feel more alive…  When that door shut, a hurricane hit. JMWC 9/22/20 from class, Panorama High School, 2020