Skip to main content

Morning Resuscitation

Today,
there was a man on the train
he was dipped in dapper and  dabbed a bit shabby,
he was whole.
a cane held him up.
as the train jolted, he'd zig, but his feet held firm.
He asked if we knew the most incredible entertainer in all the world.

Dead eyes...
silence, ears plugged with electronics
sound escaping.

He said, "Sammy Davis Jr." and began to sing
"I got to be me...what else can I be but what I am...", with each note 
dragged into a deep cantos...
He'd hum one note for seconds,
a deep powerful growl and certainty.
He was certain.

)

When life seems that it no longer reflects
what you aim to see
in yourself
in your love
in your world
that it does matter
the words knock you on your head...

"I gotta be me..."
why would anyone want to live only partially alive?

(

After he belted out the song
without apology of invading spaces
eyeballing faces
with tears of acknowledgement,
this is truth... 
we clapped.
I clapped
another man clapped... and more followed.
He even received some money from people...

I've seen many people hop the train to try and sell goods: 
water bottles
snickers bars
sunglasses...
no one ever gives
no one ever looks at the goods
or cares,
but this man got some money... tribute for freeing our souls,
opening our eyes,
delivering a message that travels beyond our 9-5...
it's what makes us ourselves.

A being unto our self. 

This act alone shown to me in light
(under the dank tunnels of Los Angeles)
held out into the air...
I then realized, if you offer up the spirit, people will be reached.
You have to woo the spirit of the people
the bodies will then follow.

This is true of such things: peace, friendship, love
fertility
the ages have bloomed us to evolve into...

?

...
in any regard,
I've got to be me. 

~  Jessica M. Wilson



"I want to live, not merely survive
And I won't give up this dream of life 
that keeps me alive" 

- Sammy Davis Jr.






I've gotta be me

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am

I want to live, not merely survive
And I won't give up this dream
Of life that keeps me alive
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
The dream that I see makes me what I am

That far-away prize, a world of success
Is waiting for me if I heed the call
I won't settle down, won't settle for less
As long as there's a chance that I can have it all

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I've gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I've gotta be me

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I gotta be me


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1n10city

my brain is completely flooded i've rode this train before to a journey laden in cumbersome foot-stomps catching my frolic to the ground, tumbling over some man's arms, thick-legged brawn there is a part of me that says, 'you're too old for this'... maybe to know better is to be declarative and surrender to the certainties in life. however certain and present, the tornado will  follow. it's better to live submissive instead of dismissive to the velocity of life held out in front of you... like the last banana in the fruit bowl, or that chocolate cake you just want to lick. bowl to casket. each motion a delight.

When everyone was quarantined, I felt like

  "When everyone was quarantined, I felt like..."           I was caged,  my cord cut,            the outside was in,       and I  wasn’t ready for that. I felt like I was out of time                 – no way to re-plan my life,  no way to be by anyone’s side. I like mapping the scene,     feel heat amongst a crowd,  and now, to stay away from them,  I have to hide. Close myself off  my nature,  to enjoy parties  dancing, all the things               feel more alive…  When that door shut, a hurricane hit. JMWC 9/22/20 from class, Panorama High School, 2020

Sort of a Downer

It's birthday season again!  Yay...  (sarcasm) Gosh, it has been a while since Covid19 made its debut... I think I was thinking it would be gone by now. Yes, the foolish fantasy that we could continue with our lives after 2 weeks of lockdown, but here is August. It's nearly my birthday and I have been wrapping my head around just what I can do to celebrate. Sure, you can say, go low key. Or, "why not be low key, Jessica. Why's it gotta be a big party?". Well, to counter that I'd say, "F&*k off, it's my birthday bish!" But really , I would probably say: 1. I just came out of 3 years of being "Mama", as in new momma, as in "where the hell did Jessica go", as in "when the hell is Jessica coming back?" as in "what do the kids need now?" I haven't been out in a long time. Definitely not the way I used to go out.  2. It's a milestone birthday! Let me rock my milestone and set it off! That's what I