Skip to main content

My New Favorite MODERN Band: The Mystic Braves!

Holy holy! I heard these cats play at the Santa Monica Pier, opening up for The Zombies! Wow, if that is not a great credit to musical history, I don't know what is :)

The Mystic Braves...headed to the stage, waited patiently to be introduced...sunset reflecting off of black shades...they were cloaked in velvet pea coats, skinny pants, and looked damn sharp! As soon as the first song launched into the air, I was hooked.

The Mystic Braves at the Santa Monica Pier - 8/21/14
   
The Mystic Braves at the Santa Monica Pier - 8/21/14

I love surf rock -- Dick Dale -- and his thundering guitar.
I love The Doors and the psychedelic trips Ray Manzarek's organ would take sending my mind tumbling through time.
I love the old ramble of a steady Rockabilly beat, reminiscent of Johnny Cash, and the western twang of Marty Robbins.
I love the cry of Carlos Santana's guitar as it reaches the heavens in its peaking...

There is no music like this anymore... not that I have found. Not that I have heard. I know I haven't been everywhere, but what I like has been hard to find.

but wow.
have you heard the Mystic Braves?
have you heard the sound from these young cats of Echo Park - Los Angeles, CA?

They revisit the sounds that I cherish, fuse them into a new genre of audio... they call themselves a "Psych" band. Both my husband and I love "hippie rock", the era of Psychedelia (Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Jefferson Airplane)... and we had our minds BLOWN!
Our minds rocketed right up into the Milky Way! These guys ROCK!

What are we looking at?
We've got the lead singer, guitar player -- gone electric, gone surf rock, gone western, gone GLORIOUS with rock n roll! Holy hell! :)

Then there is the bassist and singer... who can sing awfully high and beautifully --watching him smack his bass with grace the entire time!

Then you have your organist who also plays percussion... keeping the steady beat supporting the guitars, then rocking out on a solo on the organ to make you BOP in your socks! O man, that was awesome!

Then you have your rhythm guitar -- keeping the steady tempo and holding onto a psychedelic riff all the whiles another psychedelic, or electric, or surf steady riff holds on top of that... A musical jam sensation! Again...this band blew our minds!

Then you have your drums... the drummer was cool the entire time... I don't think I saw him sweat, he was so damned cool! :) He kept a steady beat on symbols and rocked the big drums! I loved it.

Wow! So there you go... The Mystic Braves! I will follow this band all over town they are that awesome. In fact, I hope to be able to do a show where I can bring them onboard!
Here is their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mysticbraves
Their webpage: http://www.mysticbraves.com/#music

Annnnnnnnnnd for your listening pleasure...here is their LP! Gotta love YouTube!



Peace & Love amigos!

   

I did take some Zombie pictures, but they all came out "meh" and fuzzy...but here are The Zombies!!! 
Long live Collin Blunstone and Rod Argent! 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When everyone was quarantined, I felt like

  "When everyone was quarantined, I felt like..."           I was caged,  my cord cut,            the outside was in,       and I  wasn’t ready for that. I felt like I was out of time                 – no way to re-plan my life,  no way to be by anyone’s side. I like mapping the scene,     feel heat amongst a crowd,  and now, to stay away from them,  I have to hide. Close myself off  my nature,  to enjoy parties  dancing, all the things               feel more alive…  When that door shut, a hurricane hit. JMWC 9/22/20 from class, Panorama High School, 2020

1n10city

my brain is completely flooded i've rode this train before to a journey laden in cumbersome foot-stomps catching my frolic to the ground, tumbling over some man's arms, thick-legged brawn there is a part of me that says, 'you're too old for this'... maybe to know better is to be declarative and surrender to the certainties in life. however certain and present, the tornado will  follow. it's better to live submissive instead of dismissive to the velocity of life held out in front of you... like the last banana in the fruit bowl, or that chocolate cake you just want to lick. bowl to casket. each motion a delight.

In Honor of Mother Earth

Happy Earth Month!  Right now, we see the blossoms opening, the vines ripening -- the sweet smell of Spring is here! Congratulations to everyone for making it out of the darkness, in this frigid air... the dew of the damp Earth has sprouted many blessings.  Rake up the gentle soil and bring her into your circle. Let the abundance flow into your circle; enjoy the fragrance of your harvest. I wanted to offer up this powerful song; Madre Tierra , by Maya Jupiter. Her message is steady and daring to be spoken into the ears of all who dwell on and know Mother Earth.  Speak righteously, and take care. ~ Jessica ~