Skip to main content

My Pop

I can't do what my Daddy did,
making ends meet from Swap Meet fortunes.

I can't do what my Daddy did,
start a job at 15, work into it as an adult
give in to it for 30 more years
to retire to the white picket dream.

I can't do what my Daddy did,
save-a-way, with each penny earned,
each cent nimbly tucked away for the "rainy day".

I can't do what my Daddy did,
how he helped me with my young goals,
set sights on education.

No, I can't do what my Daddy did,
give in to a structure of economy
that took care of him and his family
and his sisters
and mother
a father in the VA...
live to see another day...

of the Dream.
of the American reputation
that was printed for all to see
in the books of history -- now a mere scrapbook
of Uncle Sams glory days.


- Jessica M.Wilson
2/28/14
Friday, 11:15am

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When everyone was quarantined, I felt like

  "When everyone was quarantined, I felt like..."           I was caged,  my cord cut,            the outside was in,       and I  wasn’t ready for that. I felt like I was out of time                 – no way to re-plan my life,  no way to be by anyone’s side. I like mapping the scene,     feel heat amongst a crowd,  and now, to stay away from them,  I have to hide. Close myself off  my nature,  to enjoy parties  dancing, all the things               feel more alive…  When that door shut, a hurricane hit. JMWC 9/22/20 from class, Panorama High School, 2020

1n10city

my brain is completely flooded i've rode this train before to a journey laden in cumbersome foot-stomps catching my frolic to the ground, tumbling over some man's arms, thick-legged brawn there is a part of me that says, 'you're too old for this'... maybe to know better is to be declarative and surrender to the certainties in life. however certain and present, the tornado will  follow. it's better to live submissive instead of dismissive to the velocity of life held out in front of you... like the last banana in the fruit bowl, or that chocolate cake you just want to lick. bowl to casket. each motion a delight.

In Honor of Mother Earth

Happy Earth Month!  Right now, we see the blossoms opening, the vines ripening -- the sweet smell of Spring is here! Congratulations to everyone for making it out of the darkness, in this frigid air... the dew of the damp Earth has sprouted many blessings.  Rake up the gentle soil and bring her into your circle. Let the abundance flow into your circle; enjoy the fragrance of your harvest. I wanted to offer up this powerful song; Madre Tierra , by Maya Jupiter. Her message is steady and daring to be spoken into the ears of all who dwell on and know Mother Earth.  Speak righteously, and take care. ~ Jessica ~