Skip to main content

Live from the Poetry Circus!

Los Angeles Poet Society - a community organization PROUD to run away with the circus!
(any time, Nicelle Davis, any time!) 
:)

Our new Los Angeles Poet Society banner making its debut!




I'm the president and also a client...haha LAPS Founder and President, Jessica M. Wilson
 



The Poetry Circus @ Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round
February 28 of 2015

by Juan Cardenas

The Los Angeles Poet Society had the great honor of being part of The Poetry Circus at the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round on February 28 of 2015, as a Featured Presenter representing an array of Poets and Literature aficionados in Los Angeles County by displaying their books on our own official Los Angeles Poet Society travelling table. LAPS is offering this community service FREE OF CHARGE; this means we can sell your books and give you full commission for absolutely nothing in return, just your love and appreciation. We want the table to serve you! So send us your books, brochures...we will display and sell whenever we attend literature events. 

The night at the Poetry Circus turned out to be precisely what you imagine a full traveling Poetry Circus is. While you rode the Merry-Go-Round, trapeze acrobats, marching band music, freak show and abnormalities, juggling jungle animals, sword swallowing, fire spitting, weird funny clowns all performing in their most serious silliest fashion all through the visual projection of Literature and Poetry. Sounds crazy enough? Animals transformed into different shapes and shades as they rode the poet’s stanzas, jokes and silliness applauded through uncontrollable tears of laughter. A mixture of cheer and laughter from kids all of ages filled the cloudy night, as Justin Wallace Kibbe and his collage of moving poetry evoked sighs of awe across the distance.
The event organized by Nicelle Davis was a great success though the reflection of the amount of people in which it attended, both whom were there to see the amazing line up of Poets, Writers and performers featuring and those who were there to experience the Merry-Go-Round’s joy ride of incredible speeds. 

Poet features included wordsmiths and literature Maestros Lauren Ann Bogen, Brendan Constantine, Yvonne de la Vega just to mention a few. Of course, no Circus can ever exist without clowns, so Post Mortem Movement Theater showed up and along with their mime-like athletic and expressive dialogue made us both laugh and shriek in amazement as we saw them abstractly enjoy killing each other to the sounds of gypsy circus music with their imaginations.


Nicelle, what's in store for next year!

We can't wait! 
Love, the Los Angeles Poet Society

LAPS President with the VP, Juan Cardenas!




Binbon, the Mime of Los Angeles Poet Society aka the Director of Spanish Literature, Alejandro Molina with LAPS Member, Joe Willis! 




CPITS Poet Students! 


Brendan Constantine reads on the Merry-Go-Round!

Lovely MC, Nicelle Davis!

Brendan Constantine 


Art display by Just Kibbe


Enjoying my first ride on the Merry Go Go!





Beautiful Yvonne de la Vega!


Art by Just Kibbe


The Post Mortem Dance Group



Our friend from the Poetry Store!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1n10city

my brain is completely flooded i've rode this train before to a journey laden in cumbersome foot-stomps catching my frolic to the ground, tumbling over some man's arms, thick-legged brawn there is a part of me that says, 'you're too old for this'... maybe to know better is to be declarative and surrender to the certainties in life. however certain and present, the tornado will  follow. it's better to live submissive instead of dismissive to the velocity of life held out in front of you... like the last banana in the fruit bowl, or that chocolate cake you just want to lick. bowl to casket. each motion a delight.

Sort of a Downer

It's birthday season again!  Yay...  (sarcasm) Gosh, it has been a while since Covid19 made its debut... I think I was thinking it would be gone by now. Yes, the foolish fantasy that we could continue with our lives after 2 weeks of lockdown, but here is August. It's nearly my birthday and I have been wrapping my head around just what I can do to celebrate. Sure, you can say, go low key. Or, "why not be low key, Jessica. Why's it gotta be a big party?". Well, to counter that I'd say, "F&*k off, it's my birthday bish!" But really , I would probably say: 1. I just came out of 3 years of being "Mama", as in new momma, as in "where the hell did Jessica go", as in "when the hell is Jessica coming back?" as in "what do the kids need now?" I haven't been out in a long time. Definitely not the way I used to go out.  2. It's a milestone birthday! Let me rock my milestone and set it off! That's what I

When everyone was quarantined, I felt like

  "When everyone was quarantined, I felt like..."           I was caged,  my cord cut,            the outside was in,       and I  wasn’t ready for that. I felt like I was out of time                 – no way to re-plan my life,  no way to be by anyone’s side. I like mapping the scene,     feel heat amongst a crowd,  and now, to stay away from them,  I have to hide. Close myself off  my nature,  to enjoy parties  dancing, all the things               feel more alive…  When that door shut, a hurricane hit. JMWC 9/22/20 from class, Panorama High School, 2020