Skip to main content

One of my favorite songs...gets me reflecting

I begin to reflect on the evolution of the working person...
What it meant to do labor, tend to fields of flock and flower ...and how far we've come to neglect hard work with the physical. 
we are all so digital now, we forget what our skin is even made of.







"Highwayman"



I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
The bastards hung me in the spring of twenty-five
But I am still alive.

I was a sailor. I was born upon the tide
And with the sea I did abide.
I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico
I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow
And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed
But I am living still.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide
Where steel and water did collide
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound
But I am still around..I'll always be around..and around and around and
around and around

I fly a starship across the Universe divide
And when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When everyone was quarantined, I felt like

  "When everyone was quarantined, I felt like..."           I was caged,  my cord cut,            the outside was in,       and I  wasn’t ready for that. I felt like I was out of time                 – no way to re-plan my life,  no way to be by anyone’s side. I like mapping the scene,     feel heat amongst a crowd,  and now, to stay away from them,  I have to hide. Close myself off  my nature,  to enjoy parties  dancing, all the things               feel more alive…  When that door shut, a hurricane hit. JMWC 9/22/20 from class, Panorama High School, 2020

1n10city

my brain is completely flooded i've rode this train before to a journey laden in cumbersome foot-stomps catching my frolic to the ground, tumbling over some man's arms, thick-legged brawn there is a part of me that says, 'you're too old for this'... maybe to know better is to be declarative and surrender to the certainties in life. however certain and present, the tornado will  follow. it's better to live submissive instead of dismissive to the velocity of life held out in front of you... like the last banana in the fruit bowl, or that chocolate cake you just want to lick. bowl to casket. each motion a delight.

In Honor of Mother Earth

Happy Earth Month!  Right now, we see the blossoms opening, the vines ripening -- the sweet smell of Spring is here! Congratulations to everyone for making it out of the darkness, in this frigid air... the dew of the damp Earth has sprouted many blessings.  Rake up the gentle soil and bring her into your circle. Let the abundance flow into your circle; enjoy the fragrance of your harvest. I wanted to offer up this powerful song; Madre Tierra , by Maya Jupiter. Her message is steady and daring to be spoken into the ears of all who dwell on and know Mother Earth.  Speak righteously, and take care. ~ Jessica ~