Skip to main content

April is National Poetry Month!





"Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April, when schools, publishers, libraries, booksellers, and poets throughout the United States band together to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture. Thousands of organizations participate through readings, festivals, book displays, workshops, and other events." - from Poets.org

Let's kick off National Poetry Month with " N" by Maurya Simon


N

Noon. I can connect nothing with nothing.
Perhaps even chaos is cause for celebration.

And perhaps the astrologers are right when they chart
one disaster, one propitious night, one happenstance

of glory to the next so they accrue like an alphabet
in the primer of each person's life. I read my horoscope

each day, searching for the solitary clue, the sign
signalling my journey's halt, when I might look up

at last into the stars, connect-the-dots--see, at once,
the bright Virgin standing steadfastly like a silver ship

docked among the midnight swarms, her left hand
  beckoning
to me, as if nothing floats between us but the world. 

 ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~


Maurya Simon is the author of Ghost Orchid (Red Hen Press, 2004), Weavers (2000), The Golden Labyrinth (1995), Speaking in Tongues (1991), Days of Awe (1990), and The Enchanted Room (1986). She is the recipient of a 1999 NEA fellowship in poetry, and she has been awarded a University Award from The Academy of American Poets, the Celia B. Wagner and Lucille Medwick Memorial Awards from the Poetry Society of America, and a Fulbright/Indo-American Fellowship. Simon has been a Fellow at Hawthornden Castle in Edinburgh, Scotland, as well as a Fellow at the Baltic Centre for Writers and Translators in Visby, Sweden. Her poems have appeared in Poetry, TriQuarterly, The Kenyon Review, The Gettysburg Review, The Georgia Review, Grand Street, Agni, Ploughshares, Shenandoah, The Los Angeles Times Book Review, Calyx, New England Review, and in more than fifty additional literary magazines and journals. Her poetry has also been collected in more than a dozen anthologies. She is a professor in the Creative Writing Department at the University of California, Riverside and lives in Mt. Baldy, in the Angeles National Forest of the San Gabriel Mountains, in southern California.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm heading to the Moon!

     Since I was a little girl, I was in love with wind, the land, and the proximity of the moon. Her glowing face shed just enough grace to soothe my tears in its quiet light.  I felt the depth of her passion, her longing, her loneliness, her strength. I sought the eyes of her face; along with their color, and holding smile. She traced me along the footprint I patted down; little girl beating brown; a tiny hand of mud. 

Tangled in more Grapevines

Ways You Can Support 💜 Dear Friends, As I navigate some meaningful transitions this season, I’m reaching out with gratitude and humility. If you feel called to support, here are a few ways your kindness could truly help me and my little family right now: Help us get to León (August 14–21) so the kids and I can spend our birthday week together with loved ones. Contribute to our August rent — a little breathing room would mean a lot. Share resources or curriculum for advanced elementary studies — I’m homeschooling! Help me enroll in an advanced Spanish class. Support with vehicle tag renewal costs. Haircuts for the kiddos. New clothing for the little ones — they grow so fast! Help organizing and decluttering at home. Let me know if your address can be a reliable business address for LAPS correspondence. Let me know if you have a safe space to store a few treasured keepsakes from the kids’ (and my) childhood. Help us host a community birthday c...

Review of Chemorella by Ken Phillips and Katy Franco

Chemorella , Ken Phillips and Katy Franco’s color-bound, 57 page bilingual journey catapults readers into the world of cancer and the afterward. This story captures the rawness of emotional evolution of someone diagnosed with cancer. In these pages we witness the first injections of devastation, denial, fear, and finally the climax of letting go and choosing life over grief or giving up to the disease.  Phillips and Franco address the severity of cancer in a way that is expressive and humorous; and also written in a way that is always accessible to the reader by means of adopting the Cinderella Fairy Tale to Franco’s testimony. Like Cinderella, Chemorella is a lovely and beautiful woman with a lot of good spirit to share. However, Chemorella becomes stricken with a tragedy that many people don’t come back from, that is far more serious than anything Cinderella had faced. Though with nudges of negativity from her three “famously awful roommates,” and guidance from her super ...